[3830] CQ160 CW W5PR Single Op Assisted LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 29 11:43:46 EST 2017

CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: W5PR
Operator(s): W5PR
Station: W5PR

Class: Single Op Assisted LP
QTH: STX

Total:  QSOs = 868  State/Prov = 55  Countries = 31  Total Score = 74,648

Club: Texas DX Society

Comments:

I have been working on my 160 antennas. I tried putting two 1/4 wave slopers
paralleled to the same feed point, one cut for the lower part of the band and
the other for the higher part. The BEST SWR was 3:1 so I couldn't use the amp.
I went with 100W and the tuner in the rig. I was only going to see if I could
even work anyone at all and I was totally amazed to work 14 countries on 4
continents in the first 25 contacts! I did not stay on much past midnight both
nights and missed the morning openings, but I made more Qs than I have ever
made in a CW contest! I may be a new fan of this mode. I can shout when I work
a juicy new mult and not break the VOX.  My SAL-30 receive antenna allowed me
to hear the DX. I tried the transmit antenna several times and it was never
better than the SAL-30. Already 2 new LoTW 160 band countries. Sweet!

I will separate the two slopers and select them with a switch for the SSB part
of the contest. Then I will be able to use the amp.

    NA     248     248    90.2
    SA       8       8     2.9
    AF       1       1     0.4
    EU      15      15     5.5