[3830] CQ160 CW N1LN Single Op Assisted HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 29 17:00:06 EST 2017

CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: NC

Total:  QSOs = 1176  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 61  Total Score = 478,142

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Wow - what a difference one week makes.  During NAQP SSB the noise on 160 was
worse than some summer conditions. This weekend you could almost hear a pin
drop.

This was the first time that I did not host a M2 entry in CQWW 160 since
building the station in NC. It was just impossible to get the team together so
I went alone.  I am not a long contest single op BUTT IN CHAIR person.  The
first night was great.  I was on from 2200 UTC until 0700 UTC. The first 6
hours were outstanding never dropping below a 100 Q/hour rate.  Not much EU but
that all changed around 0430 and lasted until EU sunrise.  That was FUN.  After
a few hours of sleep I got back on about 1100 UTC hoping for some JAs but no
joy on Saturday morning.

Saturday night I got back on around 2130 UTC and the rates were slow, but
around 2200 UTC EU started coming in strong.  The Saturday afternoon NA sunset
was better then the EU sunrise.  The excellent EU rates and signals lasted here
until 2345. It was like a switch turned off. So, off to eat and spend some time
with the XYL.  Around 0300 I finally got back on the air but shut down early
and did not enjoy the entire EU sunrise. I am sure that cost several new mults
and lots of 10 point Qs, but the bed was calling as we had Sunday plans.  Not
wanting to totally quit the contest I did get up for another 2 hours Sunday
from 1100 to 1300 and got my ONE JA in the log.

The QSO breakdown ended up at 919 2 point, 78 5 point and 179 10 point Qs in
the log and my highest points per Q total yet at 3.4.

Thanks for all the Qs - the many repeats and the fun time.  Next year I hope to
be back with a Multi-2 crew and be on for 30 plus hours, especially if these
conditions continue to improve.

73,
Bruce N1LN