[3830] CQ160 CW VA2WA Single Op Assisted HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 29 17:44:54 EST 2017

CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: VA2WA
Operator(s): VA2WA
Station: VA2WA

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: QC

Total:  QSOs = 1300  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 62  Total Score = 878,944

Club: Contest Group du Quebec

Comments:

Rig: TS-590S + Alpha 89 (SO1R)
Ant: Top loaded vertical 16.5 meters high
Rx ant: short BEV ( about 50 meters long) to EU

The longest QSOs DX in my log:

A35W
E51DWC
CW5W
UA4M
and few KH6

Looks like top band is getting better and better ))

There were terrible conditions during the first night. Second night brought
some good openings. I could hear a lot of loud EU's on my BEV at 2 hours before
my SS on Saturday. Anyway there was always difficult to copy northern EUs since
a high latitude aurora (k=3 or 2) was running almost all the contest time.
Finally got one OH6 on the second night after about 10 minutes of constant
calls. Didn't copy any TF, JW or ES even I saw few stations on a band map.

Missed the following multipliers ( A4, RA9, GW, EA9, YL, ES, TA, ZL4). My
modest vertical efficiency was not enough even I was coping them very well.
I've made few approaches by calling them but that didn't work. I guess a good
RX antenna should be considered as a most important option "must
have" for any top bander.))  Didn't hear any VK or JA.

We had a real winter weather here with a temp of -5C and lot of snow.

Thanks for all the QSOs!

73!

Victor

http://www.contestgroupduquebec.com/