[3830] IARU K8MR SOABCW QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 9 08:50:10 EDT 2017

IARU HF World Championship

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: K8MR

Class: SOABCW QRP
QTH: SNJ

   40:   28            3        2
   20:   12            3        6
-------------------------------------
Total:   40     0      6        8  Total Score = 1,092

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

Another exercise in providing weak signals to test the copying skills of others.
We're on vacation with our daughter in Long Beach Island, NJ, so I brought along
the KX3 with dipoles suspended from a 12 foot mast on the small rooftop deck,
draping the wires over the edge.

After arriving in the afternoon, unpacking, and dinner, I got on 20 meters and
had some reasonable success for a QRP station. However, shortly thereafter my
son-in-law came wondering why a bunch of circuit breakers had to be reset. Five
watts on battery power didn't seem to explain things, but after getting back on
the same thing happened. It turns out that the RF was enough to trip these arc
fault circuit interrupting breakers. Being after dark and affecting baby
monitors, I went QRT for the night. I did get back on for the last two hours,
on 40 meters.

Good to work lots of friends in the time I was on.

73 - Jim  K8MR