[3830] IARU K8CN SOABCW QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 9 09:53:29 EDT 2017

IARU HF World Championship

Call: K8CN
Operator(s): K8CN
Station: K8CN

Class: SOABCW QRP
QTH: NH

  160:    2     0       1       1
   80:   35     0       3       5
   40:  199     0      16      27
   20:  222     0      15      29
   15:   85     0       9       5
   10:   17     0       3       0
-------------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I was able to devote more time to the contest this year (about double last
year's effort) including staying up until almost 0700Z when rate fell to near
zero.  Although 20 meters provided some EU contacts near the starting time, it
wasn't until ~ 1630Z before I could work EU with less difficulty.  There is
nothing more frustrating than hearing loud EU stations that can't hear my QRP
signal until propagation becomes more favorable, but that's the nature of this
game.  15 meters seemed to close relatively early, and 10 meters was still fun
with surprises, but nothing rare.  40 meters presents the same frustration as
20, only delayed until the 2100Z hour when I hear strong EU, but they can't
(yet) hear me.

A lightning storm with torrential rain came through about 1730Z and I was
forced to shut down and disconnect the antenna for a little more than an hour.
Requisite walks with the shack mascot dog, Leapin' Radio Jackson, took up more
time than I thought, and 2 hours of sleep from 0700Z to 0900Z may have cost me
a multiplier or two, but not many Qs.

I may have even worked a new DXCC entity for me (A3) in the wee hours on 20
meters - I love that band at odd times when it provides relief from 40 meters!
It was nice to pick up other PAC mults in the early morning on 40 meters -
always a thrill.

As always, I owe a great debt to all those patient ops who keep asking for
repeats of my callsign until they get it right - you make QRP contesting
rewarding!  It was especially fun to work my Thursday night NS compatriots who
are accustomed to copying my puny signals at 40 WPM - I slow down for regular
contests, which probably makes their job a great deal easier!

73, and many thanks for the Qs/mults,

Mike, K8CN

Rig: K3 at 5 Watts; Lazy-H cut for 20 meters, hanging much too low, and Johnson
Matchbox keeps the K3 from complaining too much (except on 160 meters!).