[3830] IARU K7BTW M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 9 17:04:10 EDT 2017

IARU HF World Championship

Call: K7BTW
Operator(s): K7BTW N9ADG K7VAP
Station: K7BTW

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Rainier, WA

  160:
   80:    78     0     10       5
   40:   488     5     30      19
   20:   285   227     37      52
   15:   154    35     14       8
   10:     6     0      3       1
-------------------------------------
Total:  1011   267     94      85  Total Score = 680,200

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

Since k7btw's k3 is at Elecraft, thanks to n9adg for bringing his k3 down Friday
afternoon and setting it up.
Tnx to both Brian and Valerie for doing a great job of operating. Valerie gave
us the 10 db yl advantage on phone. In addition, she is a super good op who has
learned fast. She had to fight through a terrible traffic mess on I-5 following
a police chase.  It took her about 2 hours to travel the 30 miles from her qth
to here.
As a result of concentrating on mults, our score was up by about 265 k points
over last year, even though we had fewer q's.
Did we miss a 20 mtr opening to EU late Saturday night?  There are reports of
one as close as Utah.  We ran Asia on 20 from about 0700z - 0800z but didn't
hear any EU.  Before then we were on 40, so maybe we missed an opening on 20 at
that time.  Definitely not after 0800.
Nice to have a second computer networked to the station computer so someone
could monitor what spots were needed while also checking a listening only radio
to determine if it was worth QSYing to another band.  A mistake in band changing
can be costly because of the 10 minute rule.
An improvement needed is an antenna for 160 mtrs.  We have nothing up for that
band.
Actually, while conditions were not great, they were better than what we had
expected.
Bottom line - it was a real fun contest.  24 hours is just the right length for
me.
73, K7BTW