[3830] IARU K3KU SOABMixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 9 22:51:23 EDT 2017

IARU HF World Championship

Call: K3KU
Operator(s): K3KU
Station: K3KU

Class: SOABMixed LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 9:30

  160:   26      0      3       3
   80:  105      0      7       7
   40:  120     22     15      20
   20:   42      8     15      12
-------------------------------------
Total:  293     30     40      42  Total Score = 58,302

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

(The breakdown of mult's by CW/PH is from N1MM Score Summary window.  I presume
it is smart enough to know that mult's do not count separately by mode.)

Started 0230Z Saturday night; to one 30 min break and two 15's.  Real-time
impression was that I CQing was not productive, but I see that I did have some
10-minute-or-so runs on 40 and 80 CW.  Enough fun overall, because I like
working W/VE's.  You guys who like working DX would have quit from my station.

Low point: Signals were weak enough that I could tell that SSB would not be
productive here.  I did try to make some 80M phone QSOs, but it appears that I
never found anybody who could hear me.  All my SSB QSOs were S&P.  Still
have not fixed the playback noise and hum between computer and radio.  Also
still have mic level problems, even with new headset.

Three high points:

First, one of the LU4 RCA stations answered my CQ at my start on 20M (a run of
one).

Second, a CE3 answered a CQ on 40M.

Third, I heard a Quebec station (zone mult) S&P on 160M. Did not get him,
but later worked him on 40M and moved him back to 160M for the mult. (I must
have been thinking that VE2 was different zone from VE3.  Of course, I later
worked a few VE3's on 160M.)

Two weird points:

First, while running on 80M CW (60/hr for 4 minutes!) I dug and dug to pull out
a QSO from a VE3 regular.  I thought he was running QRPp.  After that QSO I
dropped down to 160M ... and immediately found the guy CQing there, plenty
loud. Made that QSO, found no others, and went back to 80M  That looks fishy in
the log -- legal, but fishy.

Second, I had not studied the lists of HQ or IARU Officials mult's, and I don't
have them in the logging program.  Some time after I worked an IARU
"AC" mult I worked a K4 Special Event station (1x1 call) who sent
"AA" for his zone.  "OK," I thought, "if thee are ACs,
then there could be AAs," and I logged it as AA.  Then I glanced at the
zone map, and saw what's in zone 11, and changed the entry from AA to 11
(DURING THE CONTEST!!).  Gotta love those cut numbers  EENTD, or whatever.

73, Art