[3830] IARU W6YX(N7MH) SOABCW LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jul 11 02:03:27 EDT 2017

IARU HF World Championship

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: SOABCW LP
QTH: Stanford

  160:    24            5       3
   80:   173           11       7
   40:   377           24      16
   20:   521           30      39
   15:   166           12       6
   10:    28            4       2
-------------------------------------
Total:  1289    0      86      73  Total Score = 607,857

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Equipment: 2x K3/P3, YCCC SO2R box, Writelog, 160 "C" antenna, 80 inv.
vee, M2 4 el. 40, 40 inv. vee, KLM 6 el. 20, HyGain 205CA fixed ENE, HyGain
155CA fixed ENE, C31XR fixed E, Pro67 fixed ESE

Our 3 working antennas for 15 were all stuck pointing east or southeast which
worked out well since that's where most Qs were to be had. I worked a few JAs
on 15 with the 40m Yagi but missed KH6 and other Pacific mults.

10 was open to much of North America in the 1900Z hour with especially strong
signals from W1 and W2. Pete/K6TJ showed up at the shack earlier in the day and
worked South America on 10 but I didn't hear any Caribbean or South America
later when I was on 10.

After working a couple of stations on 160 I was called by K6RR. I sent my
exchange but he kept sending his callsign. That's when I noticed high SWR which
the K3 ATU was not able to correct. I tried 40 meters but had the same high SWR.
I continued CQing on 80 on the other radio and finally was able to determine
that the high SWR was only on the antennas on one SixPak. Disconnecting the
PL-259 revealed a center pin that was entirely blackened and rough to the
touch.  After replacing the 3-foot jumper with another cable I once again had
two working radios. It was odd that this connection suddenly failed when I was
running 100 W as I'm guessing the damage was from earlier arcing at high
power.

The rate plummeted in the last hour so after a 10 minute gap between QSOs and
starting to feel very drowsy I stopped with a half hour remaining.

73,
-Mike, N7MH