[3830] CQWW VHF K2DRH(AC0RA) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 16 21:06:38 EDT 2017

CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: K2DRH
Operator(s): AC0RA
Station: K2DRH

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: EN41vr

    6:  451   170
Total:  555   223  Total Score = 144,281

Shortly after the June contest Bob(k2drh) and I were talking on the phone when
he let me know he wouldn't be around for this contest and I could come operate
his station if I wanted.  I had some big plans brewing for another roving
effort but I figured I couldn't pass this up. The weekend before the contest I
made the trip over so Bob could show me around the station and give a few
helpful tips.

I got over to the station about 3 hours before the start of the contest and
fired it up.  Everything was working smooth until about 45 minutes before the
start.  The flex6700 kept disconnecting from the control pc. I couldn't figure
how to solve this issue so gave Bob and call and 15 minutes later got the
problem solved just a minute or so before the contest start.  Off to the races
I go.

Saturday saw decent es on 6m in many directions but didn't seem like I was in
the hot spot cause never could get a decent rate going. Most of Saturday 2m was
also open to the east with little to no activity most of the time.  Went to bed
around 2am when a local storm got to close to hear anything.  Ended the day
with 78% of my total qsos and also 78% of my total mults. Funny how that works.

Started at it again Sunday morning shortly after 5am making lots of msk 144
qsos on 6m. After the rox died off morning tropo was decent to the northwest
but again not alot of activity. It was slow going the rest of the day but got
by making quite a few qsos on Ft8 and putting the voice keyer to good use cqing
away.

Besides the complications before the contest the station worked flawlessly the
rest of the contest. There was a bit of operator error when qsying bands and on
digi modes but overall don't think it was to bad considering it was my first
time behind the wheel of the big rig. All that being said I had a great time
operating K2drh station.  Looking forward to next year's contest maybe break
out the rover for that one.

73 Wyatt
AC0RA