[3830] CQWW VHF N8II SOSB/6 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 16 21:39:32 EDT 2017

CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOSB/6 LP
QTH: WV

    6:  99     50
Total:  99     50  Total Score = 4,950

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Compared to recent Es, we were pretty lucky to get what we got, but there was
almost no Es from here on Sunday working only EM26 and EM37 around 1735Z both
of which were worked Saturday.

But, Saturday was pretty good except for not much single hop Es to major urban
areas. The band was open at the start from NE Texas, KS, and OK around to only
2 stations in FL. Closest skip was EM71 in south GA. Last QSO here was 1852Z.
When I returned after dinner at 2325Z, there was Es again to KS and TX along
with a brief but loud opening to XE2 EL06, one call and in log. I worked
several IL stations, but nothing as far north as Chicago. My first double hp Es
QSO was at 0049Z to DM58 in NM and last signal heard (single or double hop) but
not worked was K6JAD in DM13 about 0310Z. Not having much of a signal on 6 was
quite an obstacle to making QSO's; I heard three DM79 stations, but no QSO's,
K0BLD got a partial call on me then gave up running a string of farther west
8's right after.
Grids worked on double hop in order were DM52, DM58, DM38, DM68, DN70, DM13 CA,
DM69, and DM32. I heard N6WE quite a long time, also N6GQ/R fairly loud, someone
in DM15 2-3 times, and K6JAD last.

Local activity could only be characterized as lousy, a few serious ops and not
many more. I missed almost all of the local grids to my south and worked very
few very far to the N or NE. K1TEO was loud with my beam S and stopped
transmitting immediately before I could get my beam on him in 15 seconds. I did
pretty well to west, but missed a SE OH station who was loud (S 6-7) calling CQ;
he could also not hear K3ZO who runs a KW. I did get EM89, 99, and EN90 all
shielded from here by countless mountains.

To summarize some fun with a lot of frustration, probably worked 2-3 all time
new grids. Thanks for hearing and working me. I did put in a good deal of
effort when the band was open.

73, Jeff