[3830] CQWW VHF W9RM SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jul 17 10:56:14 EDT 2017

CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: W9RM
Operator(s): W9RM
Station: W9RM

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CO

    6:  612   194
Total:  636   212  Total Score = 139,920

Club: NEW MEXICO VHF SOCIETY

Comments:

Much better then last year, but not quite enough to overcome the eastern urban
2M advantage so prevalent in this contest.

I figure I need to make approx 200 more 6M QSO's and 25 more 6M multipliers
then the biggest all-band eastern station to overcome the dismal lack of 2M
activity in the local area.  Looks like I came up just a little short.  Still,
not too shabby for the little pipsqueak portable station if you compare
hardware with the other top stations :)

I made -ZERO- QSO's on JT65 or FT8.  I can run 3-4 QSO's per minute on SSB when
the band is open well - I don't need to be slowed down by modes that take a
minimum of 45-60 seconds per QSO, at their best.  When the band is dead, it's
dead regardless of your mode.  It's unfortunate, but there were MANY calls that
have been rocks of participation that did not show up in my log - they were all
on digital modes during E openings.  No, I do not hate digital modes - I think
they are wonderful. . .for certain purposes.  Contesting isn't one of them.

Meteor scatter activity was dismal.  Too many stations have been lured to the
dark side of JT65/FT8 and CQWW rules regarding assistance and spotting make 2M
M/S QSO's VERY difficult.  PingJockey and MSK144 netted me maybe 3-4
multipliers on 2M where, in the past (and during ARRL June VHF) it's easy to
score 10-15 2M mults.  And yes, once again, I did not work my own grid on
either band...

EQUIPMENT:

6M - 7 el @ 45' & 5 el @ 25'
2M - 5WL antenna at 55'
SO2R - FT920 / FT1000MP MKV + transverter
6M PA - converted Dentron MLA2500 @ 800W out
2M PA - BEKO SSPA @ 600W out

-W9RM