[3830] CQWW VHF W3SO Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jul 17 13:56:11 EDT 2017

CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: W3SO
Operator(s): W3YOZ W3XOX W3BTX WA3TTS W3BC W3IDT
Station: W3SO

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: WPA

    6:  246   108
Total:  396   165  Total Score = 90,090

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Where was everyone?
Fabulous conditions on Saturday :-), with no one to work :-(

6m had Eskip out to the "water grids on the west coast" from WPA
(FN00).
2m had good tropo: Several grids in MO and MS/AL border, in addition to the
usual crowd.

Though 6m was totally open on Saturday mostly SW and WSW from our mountain
perch in WPA, there simply wasn't anyone out there to work; it got a bit better
after ~2300Z, but without an opening to FL, runs were few and very short.

For a while it seemed to be a WPX style contest: Every other QSO was a
multiplier (new grid); only due to working locals on Sunday did the QSO / GRID
ratio become a little more than 2.0.

Sunday, on the other hand, s*cked as the younger generation would say: NO
Eskip, NO tropo, NO one to work.

2m worked FN53 - an almost total water grid in ME - for perhaps the first time
from W3SO.

Lots of FT8 activity which we don't (YET) do at W3SO.

More CW activity than usual, probably due to HF contesters using the 6m built
into their modern HF rigs. (But N2IC in NM called in on SSB!).

As noted, much of the opening was to the SW (W5s) and WSW (W7s and and some W6s
in southern CA), but suddenly out of the noise up popped Cary, VE4EAR, in MB.

We had a "newbie" ham / contest op, Kevin, with brand new W3XOX call,
do a lot of 2m operating, especially on Sunday.

Bob, w3idt
for the Wopsononock Mountaintop Operators, W3SO