[3830] CWopsT W4ER QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Jul 19 20:39:35 EDT 2017

CWops Mini-CWT Test - 1900Z Jul 19

Call: W4ER
Operator(s): W4ER
Station: W4ER

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: IA

Total:  21  Mults = 20  Total Score = 420

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

Business travel took me to Fort Dodge, Iowa this week so on my way back to Des
Moines for my flight tomorrow I found a Praire Remnant pull off on I-35 for
this session. It is an interesting way to highlight and preserve some
disappearing history. The area is near Ames and is named the Skunk River Valley
Praire Remnant.

For those unaware, from Wikipedia: "A prairie remnant commonly refers to
grassland areas in the western and midwestern United States and Canada that
remain to some extent undisturbed by European settlement. Prairie remnants
range in levels of degradation but nearly all contain at least some semblance
of the pre-Columbian local plant assemblage of a particular region." This
one had lots of typical praire flora, trees, and fauna.

There is a monument at this location documenting that a family traveling by
covered wagon were burned to death due to a praire fire in 1860. Their graves
are in a nearby cemetery. All quite sobering after driving by miles and miles
of corn and soybean fields that provide us our foods from the Heartland.

Back to radio stuff; 20m was the money band today for me as although there were
loud signals on 40m, they couldn't hear me - QRP sucks during the day on 40m.
Thanks for all the Qs!

KX2 @ 5 watts to LNR 40/20 EFHW with Begali Adventurer key. Pen & paper for
logging.

73, John