[3830] IOTA KM4SII SO(A)12SSB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Jul 29 23:19:33 EDT 2017

IOTA Contest

Call: KM4SII
Operator(s): KM4SII
Station: KM4SII

Class: SO(A)12SSB LP
QTH: North Carolina

   80:   0        0        0       0
   40:   0        0        4       2
   20:   0        0        9       0
   15:   0        0        0       0
   10:   0        0        0       0
Total:   0        0       13       2  Total Score = 104

Well... portable operating with a small, low antenna, SSB only and poor
propagation does not make for an impressive score!

I operated off-and-on throughout the day using a Yaesu FT-450d and a Buddistick
vertical in the backyard. I worked a couple of stations in North America at the
start of the in quick succession and then conditions started to deteriorate. At
some points, there were barely any signals audible on the 20m band. I could work
what I could hear, but I was not hearing much :) By sunset, although I had
worked a number of stations, none were Island stations so I had ZERO points...

All QSOs were into the USA and Canada. On 40m although I was hearing a lot of
stations, only the signals that were S-9 or louder could copy me. A few
Europeans could hear me on 40m but couldn't quite pull me out.

On 40m, I was finally able to work two Island stations to put a score on the
board. Overall, conditions were quite poor and strange on 20m as the Carribian
stations who are usually S-9+ on 20m were barley even audible here. I could not
hear P40X at all and KP2XX was very weak. It seemed that they were much louder a
bit further north. I almost made a QSO with KP2XX but when he came back to part
of my call, someone else kept calling and he came back to him instead. So I
missed that QSO....

Despite a tough time and a low score, it was fun to enjoy a day outside with a
little contesting thrown in! Thanks for the QSOs!

73 de KM4SII - Mason (14 years old)