[3830] ARRL June VHF K7DR SO 3Band LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 12 00:16:41 EDT 2017

ARRL June VHF Contest

Call: K7DR
Operator(s): K7DR
Station: K7DR

Class: SO 3Band LP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:  43     26
    2:   5      4
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  48     30  Total Score = 1,440

FTdx3000 6M 100w - 3 el M2 at 12 feet
FT100 2M 50w - 6el M2 at 14 feet
Grid EN82ln (Metro Detroit)

Both yagis were mounted on a 15 ft tripod sitting in my backyard.

Contest was both fun and frustrating. Six was open near the start but the main
Es cloud was overhead, so 6 was pretty quiet for a while as signals were
whizzing by overhead. Cloud finally formed to the south and then had a pipeline
to FL peninsula, and that was it. Heard nothing on Es but FL for couple hours.
Probably would have worked plenty of grids around FL if there were any boats in
the Gulf or the Atlantic on six.

Sunday started the same way, plenty of FL, but the Es cloud slowly moved north
and started working GA, SC and NC near the coast. Again since I was just
hearing up the Atlantic coast, I'm sure plenty of signal was going into a few
hundred miles of the Atlantic, with no one to hear it, Got a little taste of
5's and 0's right at the end.

The last hour I set up my old FT100 mobile on 2M on the back patio, (so I could
keep getting up to turn the yagi) Surprised to work into WI, IL, OH and PA, with
just fifty watts at 12 feet. I tried to catch K2LIM in NY right at the close but
he couldn't pull me thru.

73
Dave - K7DR EN82