[3830] ARRL June VHF K5TR Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 12 14:11:40 EDT 2017

ARRL June VHF Contest

Call: K5TR
Operator(s): K5TR
Station: K5TR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: EM00uf
Operating Time (hrs):

    6: 1058   242
  903:    6     4
  1.2:    5     4
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:    3     2
  24G:
-------------------
Total: 1208   313  Total Score = 408,456

Club: Roadrunners Microwave Group

Comments:

Another fine VHF contest in the books.  After being Multiop the last
few years I decided to try another single op effort. I spent a fair
amount of time fixing some things - mostly inside this year.  I ripped
apart the rack that holds most of the VHF equipment and rewired and
cleaned up the mess that had accumulated over the years.  I also moved
things around and made it easier to work on things.  I reworked the
transverter switch box in an effort to make it better.  Overall most
of this worked.  I did find one or two issues before and during the
contest but most were resolved if not fully at least enough to allow
me to operate.

Last year I acquired a Larcan 1KW+ amp for use on 222 Mhz.  With the
help of N2NC (who has done a few of these now) and the information on
the web by W8ZN I was able to package it up into something that works
and even looks good.  I seem to be getting at least 1KW out of it on
222 with about 20-25 watts of drive. It made this fun band even more
fun this year.

I have an old tube amp for 432 that I have been using - and the week
before the contest the blower in it started making a lot of noise.  I
asked K5AND if he had a spare that might work - and he said he did but
when I got to his house he suggested that I just take this W6PQL 432
KW - since he was not able to use it this year due to lighting damage
to his station that took him off of all the bands above 144.  I took
him up on this offer and I am glad I did.  Now I am spoiled. It was
great having real power o 432 for a change.  The last few years the
tube amp has only been putting out about 300 watts.  The solid state
amp is quiet and just works.  I may have to expolore building up one
of these.  I used the same power supply that I am using to power the
new 222 amp. It was great to have a KW+ on 144, 222 and 432.  Working
guys on 432 and 222 was much easier than it has been in the past.

The week before the contest - I got a lot of help (once again) from
N5AC to get my 902 transverter to work better.  He put one of his LO
boards in it and that seems to have finally solved the issues I was
having with the crystal osc.  It still seems to be only putting out
about 2 watts (I think. My ability to measure power is in question) as
a result I am not getting as much power out of the amp as I would like
but I did not have any issues working folks so I am not sure how much
I am going to worry about this until some of the more distant stations
get on the band.

As always this contest gets me to thinking about how to make the
station work better on various bands. Usually more ideas than I can
implement - and many that are just crazy and not feasible. If I had a
big budget I could build one fine VHF/UHF contest station. But I think
I will pick a few and work on getting them done if I can fit them into
my many HF projects I would like to get done.

This year six meters was fairly good - still hard to get used to the
idea that making 'only' 1000+ contacts is just an OK weekend in this
contest on six meters.  The activity seems to keep going up and
up. Huge amounts of CW on the band these days. Just amazing.

KA5D/R and KD5IKG/R were out both days providing all of us with new
contacts on the bands.  It is great to have them out putting on the
grids.  K5OT/R tried his hand at some roving and I worked him on a few
bands.  Now to just get him some better antennas and a few more bands.

Thanks for all the contacts!

N2NC put a cool list of their best DX in the N2NT score posting.

Here is my list:

50   EA8CQS IL18 - 4786 mi
144  WQ0P   EM19 -  645 mi
222  WQ0P   EM19 -  645 mi
432  WQ0P   EM19 -  645 mi
902  NN5DX  DM80 -  276 mi
1296 NN5DX  DM80 -  276 mi
10g  K5LLL  EM10 -   69 mi

The station:
http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr/blanco/k5tr_station.html

50Mhz - Elecraft K3 - 2x 3-500z (1200 watts)
        7 element yagi at 75'
	7 element yagi at 30'
	7 element yagi at 25' fixed Northeast
	7 element yagi at 30' fixed Northwest

144Mhz - Elecraft K3 - Elecraft XV144 - W6PO 8877 (1500 watts)
         17B2 17 element yagi at 35'
         FO12 12 element yagi at 60' Fixed NW (stuck)
         DB224 for FM contacts

222Mhz - Elecraft K3 - Elecraft XV222 - Larcan 1KW amp
         FO16 16 element yagi at 38'

432Mhz - Elecraft K3 - Elecraft XV432 - W6PQL 1KW amp
      	 2 high stack M2 432-9WL 28 element yagis at about 40'

902Mhz - Elecraft K3 - DEMI transverter -  50 watt amp
       - 16 element loop yagi at 30'

1296Mhz - Elecraft K3 - DEMI transverter - 30 watt amp
	  24 element loop yagi at 30'

10GHZ   - Elecraft K3 - DEMI transverter - 3 watts
	  2 ft dish 30'

 ( 144, 222, 432, 902, 1296 and 10GHz  are all using the same K3)

                           ARRL VHF QSO SUMMARY SHEET
    Contest Dates : 10-Jun-17, 11-Jun-17, 12-Jun-17
    Callsign Used : K5TR
         Operator : K5TR

    6CW       36          34         34      14
    6SSB    1048        1024       1024     228
    2CW        4           3          3       2
    2SSB      67          67         67      23
  222CW        2           2          4       2
  222SSB      23          23         46      14
  432CW        5           5         10       5
  432SSB      37          36         72      15
  902CW        2           2          6       2
  902SSB       4           4         12       2
  1GHCW        1           1          3       1
  1GHSSB       4           4         12       3
  10GCW        1           1          4       1
  10GSSB       2           2          8       1

 Totals     1236        1208       1305     313

    Final Score = 408465 points.

Hour	50	144	222	432	902	1296	10g

18	15	12	1	5	0	0	0
19	93	4	0	0	0	0	0