[3830] ARRL June VHF K1TEO Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jun 13 09:41:25 EDT 2017

ARRL June VHF Contest

Call: K1TEO
Operator(s): K1TEO
Station: K1TEO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN31/CT

    6:  626   149
  1.2:   46    24
  2.3:   20    16
  3.4:   18    14
  5.7:    4     3
  10G:    3     1
  24G:
-------------------
Total: 1224   354  Total Score = 620,916

Club: North East Weak Signal Group

Comments:

Good contest with average tropo condx on 2M and up and 3 or 4 openings on 6 that
I found, both Saturday and Sunday. I'm sure I missed a bunch running around the
other bands and chasing rovers. One very nice thing about this contest was that
I was always busy. In recent years the lower overall activity has led to some
dead times but even in the last hour I was running around the bands working
stations. No dull moments this time around.

On 6M I worked some double hop on Saturday, mostly into AZ, NV,  NM and XE. On
Sunday not as much but did work 1 CA station toward the tail end of the opening
Sunday evening, as well as some WTX and XE stations.

There was some good tropo on 2M Sunday morning into my area but I never worked
anyone. Not sure if I was too low to get into the duct or if I wasn't in the
right place at the right time. I also suspect that many of the Midwest stations
stay on 144.200 and that frequency was used by a local most of the day Sunday
making it unusable out here.

My score is the 6th highest I have ever submitted for a June contest, and best
since 2012. In looking back I see a large difference in the make up of my
scores compared to other top years. 2M QSO's are way down, a consistent trend
in recent years. Also, not too long ago I would work 5 or more rovers who had
most or all of the microwave bands with them, leading to much larger microwave
QSO totals and grids in the past. There were quite a few rovers out this time
around which is great, though all but a couple were bottom 4 bands only.

Overall the station worked pretty well with the only real issue that 5G and 10G
are not working right. For the first time in years my 2G and 3G stations played
well which was nice.

Thanks for the QSO's and special thanks to the rovers!

Jeff K1TEO