[3830] ARRL June VHF K8WTF/R Limited Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Jun 15 09:39:33 EDT 2017

ARRL June VHF Contest

Call: K8WTF/R
Operator(s): K8WTF
Station: K8WTF/R

Class: Limited Rover LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  84     43  Total Score = 3,612

Conditions were pretty lackluster for me until Sunday evening.  Spent a lot of
time calling CQ on 2 meters and working local contacts.  Had some occasional
tropo to the west and northeast and worked some new-to-me grids on 2m.  I did
experiment a bit with MSK144 Saturday night and made a ~250 mile 2m contact to
the east and an ~850mi 6m contact to the west - quite impressive I think with a
very limited antenna configuration, no QRO, and somewhat poor conditions.

Things finally opened up on 6m Sunday evening just a few hours before the end
of the contest. I was able to work quite a few stations via the S&P method
before the pileups became un-bustable.  Unfortunately I had poor luck trying to
run a frequency myself.

I spent far too much time driving through EN80 on Sunday afternoon looking for
good spots, and a bit too much time operating from a not-so-great location.
After giving up and moving further west, I found a nice hill that I was able to
make a few 2m contacts from.  I didn't bother putting up the 6m loop and
possibly missed the beginning of the opening as a result.  After just a few
minutes a friendly Amish man rode up on a bicycle.  His family owns the land
and he was very curious about my contraption - he was not familiar with ham
radio, much less VHF contesting.  He did welcome me back in the future, and
I've added it to my growing list of rover spots.