[3830] ARRL FD N4CW 1C LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jun 25 16:21:34 EDT 2017

ARRL Field Day

Call: N4CW
Operator(s): N4CW
Station: N4CW

Class: 1C LP
QTH: NC

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  413     0       0  Total Score = 1,652

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Decided to operate mobile; couldn't stray far from house with spouse not feeling
so good...so I stayed at the end of our driveway! Had a late start, missing
first two hours on Saturday;lesson learned: start earlier to allow for
debugging things that don't/won't work!
Opened up on 20 and found conditions not so good...rapid fading, almost like
six and 10 meters! Sometimes stations would fade away completely in very short
time, not to come back after a reasonable wait! I absolutely could not run 'em,
so it was S&P 95% of the time. 40 was much better, but late in the
day...during the storms that came through; it got very noisy in the car at
times, even with the phones on. Moved to 80 after midnight; discovered very few
people could hear me.
All I can guess is that the antenna was very inefficient on that
band...something to work out in the future.
Sunday morning, I got to operate a couple hours before church. I had reached
300 Q's the night before and wanted to make 400 before FD ended. I made very
slow progress before church. Afterwards, I decided to open on 15 (with 1h 15m
left); pleasant surprise, 15 was open and I reached 400 with 15 minutes to go.
So I gave a quick listen on 10 and heard some signals, so I ended up making 13
more Q's on 10 before the event ended. Phew! Lots of work chasing 'em this
weekend, especially mobile.
Setup: KX3/KXPA100 on two 50AH batteries in parallel. No charging from the car
system. Antennas were two Outback antennas and three helical whips (old
Lakeshore antennas...worked great atop 5-foot Hustler mast!), mounted on a
trailer hitch Breedlove mount.
I'll be looking for a bedside tray table in the near future...that's to support
the laptop, KX3, and Begali key (it doesn't slide at all, but it sure weighs a
lot combined with all the gear on a 3/4-inch piece of plywood on my lap!!!) I'm
open for "mobile table" suggestions! Tnx for the Q's