[3830] NCQP W0BH SO Mixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Mar 1 22:42:17 EST 2017

North Carolina QSO Party

Call: W0BH
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: W0BH

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: KS

   80:   17     12
   40:   34      8
   20:   38     60
----------------------------
Total:   89     80      0  Mults = 77  Total Score = 33,379

Score includes 500 bonus points working all the bonus stations/counties.

Since this was a Carolina QSO Party, I decided to write one post and include
both parties.

This summer while on my last NPOTA run, I activated Congaree National Park in
SC, my first visit there. It was a beautiful park and we'll be back, but the
highlight for me was meeting Tom/W1TEF, who drove 30 minutes out of his way
just to say hi. He told me about the fun plans set for the Carolina QSO Party
this year, so I decided to give it a try.

And it was a really enjoyable weekend! I put 8 mobiles in the log, had no
trouble finding the bonus stations, and a surprising number of Carolina fixed
stations came out to play as well. 40 and 20 were both in from Kansas to SC for
most of the day on Saturday, although a number of the 40m contacts were close to
ESP and I missed a number of other contacts. On Sunday, NC on 40 was much more
difficult to work most of the day until evening. I saw many of my missing
counties spotted, but often couldn't hear them at all or they couldn't here me.
Many never seemed to come to 20m.  80 was good in the evening and I even managed
a couple of 160m contacts with W4CAE and N4XL in SC.

After working all but Chesterfield and Lancaster in SC, I decided to go for
maximum counties rather than maximum score in NC since I knew I wouldn't be on
full time. I did a lot of CQing on 20m, and enjoyed the ops that stopped by. It
was a pretty good strategy since I missed so many counties on 40, and I ended up
with 77 counties for my 6.5 hours of work on Sunday.  Congrats to K1RO for a
really excellent effort in both parties, and to OM2VL who continues to amaze as
well! I worked 59 unique stations in SC, and 96 unique stations in NC.

Special thanks to the mobiles who always make the party!  N4CW/m cruised across
both states and often was the only station who could hear me on 40 on Sunday.
Sorry K5CM didn't make it to SC on Saturday, but if was fun working Connie NC
mobile with his usual excellent signal. And of course it was great to put W1TEF
in the log after having seen his mobile rig last summer.

My mobile scorecard:

SCQP
32 N4CW
09 W1TEF
07 K3TD
04 N4UP KV4RH
03 W4WJP
02 N4UQM

NCQP
26 N4CW
18 K5CM
10 K3TD

Thanks to the SCQP Team and all the SC ops for a well-run party.  A special
shout out to Dave, WN4AFP for his leadership and fun new ideas.  Likewise
thanks to RARS, the NCQP Team, and the NC ops for a fine effort as well. I hope
one of these years I can join the mobile fun in both of your states!

73, Bob, w0bh