[3830] ARRLDX SSB OT6M M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 5 18:05:24 EST 2017

ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: OT6M
Operator(s): ON9CC PC5A
Station: OT6M

Class: M/S HP
QTH: JO20ws
Operating Time (hrs): 16:16

  160:    3     2
   15:    5     4
Total:  576   110  Total Score = 190,080

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

We started the contest somewhat late due to some RFI on the Orion's headset
(Radiosports) on 160m and 80m. We isolated the problem to be the headset cable
as an old Heil headset, connected to the MKII wasn't having any issue. After
some foolin around the issue disappeard but we don't know why. Anyway some
further investigation is needed...

Conditions ... well ... it has been quite some time since conditions we so bad.
The first night we had about a good 2 hour run on 80m and that was basically it.
On Saturday we even had a period of more than 30 minutes between 2 QSO's on 20m.
 We made a handfull of QSO's on 15m on Saturday, none on Sunday. 10m didn't open
at all so no 6 banders in the log. Same bad conditions on Sunday and we decided
to spent the rest of the Sunday in front of the TV.

What we noticed that we were being called by very small stations (like one with
some 'super' portable antenne ... according to Google a small portable whip
antenna) so obviously we were being heard on the East coast. But the bandmap
always was nearly empty and there was just no fresh meat. Even when we called
CQ and got a cluster spot, the 'pile-up' that followed only lasted for a couple
of minutes and often only in less than a handfull of stations. S&P also
didn't work as there just were no new stations to be heard. I think everyone
was just watching the DX-cluster for something new to appear and there wasn't
much animo to turn that dial.

Station: IC7800 and Orion (interlocked), ACOM2000
Antennas:
TRX: dipoles for 160m and 80m, HF2V, OB2-40, OB11-3, 3 el.SteppIR
RX: K9AY

C U in the RDX in 2 weeks!
73 Frank ON9CC