[3830] ARRLDX SSB K3WJV SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 6 01:40:47 EST 2017

ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K3WJV
Operator(s): K3WJV
Station: K3WJV

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: PA

Total:  728   275  Total Score = 598,950

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Time to think about stn improvements and boy do I have ideas on that, hi. Since
I couldn't use the ft1K on phone (no mic) I setup n1mm for so1v and used my stn
#1. I have problems with running on phone in major dx contests as there is no
such thing as a "good" freq to me and no such thing as a
"good" phone filter. Even though I have narrower filters for ssb (I
tried) I just have difficulty with getting rid of what I don't want to hear.

But I do have fun in phone contests. I didn't have an actual goal and always
have a 1 meg minimum but I knew deep down that was going to be hard to achieve.
Last yr I did 1.1 meg but 15 was more like 15 instead of being too much like 10
the way it is now (esp Sunday). So I played it by ear and used live scoring to
pick a goal as things progressed. And when things really sucked, live scoring
and our club chat kept things lively when faced with the drudgery of operating
a  major dx contest at this time of the solar schedule.

I setup some K3 CAT cmds to embed in n1mm but now I know I need more work with
that. Thank the ham gods for dvk. I talk loud anyway and with headphones on I
put too much effort in talking on the radio. Sunday it was like driving with a
low tire at @ 75 mph on the highway. I bought a footswitch last month and still
prefer vox but as things progress I need a quick way to kill vox to kill
whatever gathers in my throat in a voice contest.

My hexbeam at 24ft makes 10 & 15 that much harder at this time of the
cycle. Being loud is more important for receiving right now. We have a few more
members in our club chat who stay connected all weekend and I hope we are making
contesting life easier but I already know its a lot more fun using chat and live
scoring to keep you stuck in the shack chair playing radio.  I think our scores
improved because of it.

stn 1   FT1000MP & Alpha 89
40mtr inv v    40mtr sloper    @55ft
Palstar HF-AUTO to add 15&20

stn 2   K3/P3 & Acom 2000A
2el K4KIO Hexbeam-6 bands @24ft    Green Heron controller with G-450A rotor
3 band two legged fan inv vee broadside N/S @ 55ft  40-80-trapped 160

Rx ant - pair of 200ft NE/SW kd9sv rbogs with DXE ncc-2

SO2R >> TopTen Dx Doubler    Band Aides    A/B relays

N1MM+ contest logger & DxLab master logger