[3830] ARRLDX SSB VY2ZM(K1ZM) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 6 17:43:04 EST 2017

ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VY2ZM
Operator(s): K1ZM
Station: VY2ZM

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: PEI

   20: 1786   106
Total: 3087   370  Total Score = 3,419,910

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Most contests are fun - but this one was NOT - in fact it was downright
PAINFUL!
On Friday night, Northern EU signals were all but absorbed on 80M and 160M.
For example, it took me almost 5 mins to copy OH3RB's callsign and power
correctly on 80m.

Usually I am able to (eventually) work what I can hear - not this time out.  I
called JR8VSE and a very LOUD JR8 just below him on 40M for 15 mins with barely
a QRZ?

KH6J was solid copy on 7169 near my sunrise and did not hear me either - not a
peep!

15M from here to EU was almost totally absent on SATURDAY (maybe a few in there
but I elected to stay on 20M instead).  On SUNDAY 15M was horrible except for
CR6T, CR6K and three EA stations who were for some reason S9+20 for hours.
Whatever else I managed to work was basically ESP if it was NORTH of EA8!

10m (as expected) was JOKE!

It is really tough to stay in the chair under condx like this.    Congrats to
those who hung in there to make a serious go of it - true IRON MEN INDEED!

Fortunately 40M picked up alot of the slack and 160M was reasonably productive
when you get right down to it.

Congrats to W2RE on a super showing, N1UR on a great effort as well and AA1K
for showing again what he can do - year after year.

Again, thanks to all those friends who called in to make it fun.  It kept me
awake to say hello to old friends like ON4UN/DJ2YA/UA9BA/DK3GI and many
others.

CU in the next one.

KARAMBA to K1LZ and K3JO!

73 JEFF  K1ZM/VY2ZM