[3830] ARRLDX SSB W8TAH SO Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 6 18:08:55 EST 2017

ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W8TAH
Operator(s): W8TAH
Station: W8TAH

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: Lester, Ohio

   80:    3     3
   40:   10     8
   10:    5     4
-------------------
Total:  139    79  Total Score = 32,469

Club: West Park Radiops

Comments:

ARRL SSB DX INT Notes

When I was able to clear most of my free time in the weekend (couldn’t move
work), I planned to make a big effort on this contest.  Using K6TU’s
excellent propagation prediction software, I got my work plan together, and
really was pretty happy with how it came out.  (I really enjoy doing prop
forecasting, so that’s part of the fun of a contest for me)

On Friday night, I got things started with a total flop.  Conditions were
HORRIBLE, I worked for 40 minutes, and had one contact… talk about
disheartening, so I decided to get some sleep and try again in the morning,
hoping that things picked up. My decision was rewarded, when I started
operating again on Saturday morning, the bands were perking along nicely. Early
on it was a lot of Caribbean and South / Central American countries, primarily
on 20, but later 15 started to take off in a big way

As the day progressed, the bands opened up more and more and I was able to work
some areas that I have NEVER worked before, I worked Tonga and Pitcairn for
ATNO, as well as Hawaii, Australia and New Zealand which are rarely heard (at
least by me) here.

All in all for a disappointing start, things ended up quite nicely, and I was
very happy with the results.

TIM
W8TAH

 Band     QSOs     Pts        Cty       Pt/Q
   3.5       3              9         3           3.0
     7      10                30       8           3.0
    14      63            186      35         3.0
    21      58            171      29         2.9
    28       5             15        4           3.0
 Total     139          411      79         3.0
Score: 32,469
1 Mult = 1.8 Q's