[3830] ARRLDX SSB N5DX(@N2QV) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Mar 7 19:11:47 EST 2017

ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N5DX
Operator(s): N5DX
Station: N2QV

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NY
Remote Operation

   20: 1313   101
Total: 2145   344  Total Score = 2,213,640

A bad day contesting from the east coast is still like a stroll down 7 mile
beach.  It's incredible to see the perseverance from Midwest and West Coast
stations in these Eurocentric DX contests.  Scores like N6RO whose full time
multi multi operation from California nets a seventh place finish in the single
operator all band unassisted category.  From Arkansas, I've been a part of many
multi multi operations where we were easily beat by top single op east coast
stations.  Having been through many of these operations it is tough for me to
lament about poor conditions.  So while it is rough to take a beating from W2RE
and N1UR (BTW kudos to AA1K on a great score as well)I'm still pinching myself
after every one of these forays into the world of east coast competition.

I went into the contest with three goals:

1. Strive for a golden log.
2. Aggressively pass multipliers.
3. Hit openings to Asia in order to maximize mult count.

Focusing on specific goals instead of just "winning" helps to make
the contest tangible and keeps the motivation level high even under depressed
conditions.  The station performed flawlessly thanks to a Herculean effort by
team N2QV members Rich and Scott (WU2X).  These guys busted their butts to fix
a rotating tower issue that cropped up during the ARRL DX CW contest.  This was
my first remote SSB operation so I was a little nervous about how the extra
delay would affect the operation but everything was simply perfect.

Thanks again to N2QV and WU2X for the use of the great station.  Their
dedication to excellence is second to none. I always get a warm fuzzy feeling
inside when the K3 clicks on and the "Welcome to N2QV" message
scrolls across the display.  I hope to see that message for many more contests
to come.

73,
Kevin N5DX