[3830] WiQP NE9U Multi-Op Mobile LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Mar 14 03:15:13 EDT 2017

Wisconsin QSO Party

Call: NE9U
Operator(s): NE9U KK9K N9BCA
Station: NE9U

Class: Multi-Op Mobile LP
QTH: wi

  160:
   80:    280       28
   40:    236        0
   20:     35        0
    2:              12
  UHF:
------------------------
Total:    551       40  Mults = 67  Total Score = 121,371.0

Club: Honey Badger Contesters

Comments:

Worst year in 10 years!  Bad conditions and self inflicted wounds....

AS others mentioned, 40 was long from start, as was 20.  20 actually sounded
pretty good, but no one was on it...too bad....

Luckily 80 came to life at end....made just about half our qso's in last 2
hours!  First 5 hours were steady, but slow...

TR4W says we had 70 minutes of down time......(the self inflicted wounds)
Murphy kept on striking...

At start, computer wouldnt send code (worked fine saturday!)
Radio powered up to PLL ERR
My config files wouldn't run at county line changes....
Code sending went berserk a few times....
Battery for our antenna tuner was bad...luckily found Saturday and had time to
buy a new one...
Antenna stopped tuning half way through contest....biggest down time of 17
minutes...was a real head scratcher until we say it smoking!  Insulation broke
and it was arcing to some metal....fixed with 3m tape and solved that
problem....

Because we were behind schedule and saw the snow coming we skipped our last two
counties so we would end close to home instead of 100 miles away....

But even though there were problems, the local bar near my cabin had a special
event steak night just for us on Saturday night!  Ribeyes on the charcoal
grill!!!  Can't beat that!

Also had a great breakfast Sunday morning at another little up North cafe.

Looks like Michigan is a no go for us this year due to Easter Weekend.  We are
having some irrational thoughts of driving 1000 miles to Florida for their
party a week later.......we will see....

73

Scott  NE9U
Ron KK9K
Art N9BCA

Rig :k3
antenna:  home brew base loaded vertical
Software:  TR4W