[3830] WPX SSB KH6BE SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 27 05:49:04 EDT 2017

CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KH6BE
Operator(s): KH6BE
Station: KH6BE

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Hawaii
Operating Time (hrs):

Beachside portable operation - Elecraft KX3, Buddipole vertical dipole, N1MM
Logger+

3 sessions - local Friday afternoon (00-05Z), local Saturday afternoon
(02-04Z), and local Sunday morning (20-23Z)

Started the contest on 15 (signals on 20 were weak here), and did OK with
mostly Pacific Rim stations until the band went out about 0330. 20 opened on
similar paths from 0330-0500. I ended the afternoon on 40 just to pick up a
local AH7 mult who couldn't hear me on 15 or 20.

I had commitments until 02Z the next day, and couldn't operate until late
Saturday afternoon. 20 was the only open band for me. But outside of a handful
of big contest stations with great ears, I still managed mostly contacts on the
USA west coast and Pacific islands. I moved to 15 and worked one Indonesian
station before shutting down at 04Z.

I was hoping for better propagation on Sunday morning, but it never
materialized for me. Signals were all weak and muddy-sounding on 20 meters,
which is not a good omen for a QRP operation. 15 was the only workable band for
me, and contacts there  were tough with marginal propagation paths - with
patience, I could get through to most stations that I could hear at S5 or
better. I heard VK/PY stations on 10 meters at 22Z Sunday, but the path was not
good enough for my 5W signal.

Although the propagation was disappointing, at least the WX was perfect here
for portable operation - sunny and 83F (28C) every day. Thanks to all who
struggled to pull me out of the noise! Hope to work you in WPX CW in May.

73 de Bob KH6BE