[3830] WPX SSB K7HKR SO(A)AB(R) LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 27 16:41:37 EDT 2017

CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: K7HKR
Operator(s): K7HKR
Station: K7HKR

Class: SO(A)AB(R) LP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs):

80 watts into 5-foot (75/40/20 meters) and 3-foot (20/15/10 meters) diameter
magnetic loops from AZ.

Only 18 entities as opposed to 28 in ARRL DX and two-thirds of my QSOs were
lower 48.  Five continents, but Europe was hopeless with huge pileups on the
stations I heard.  Being very new to this, I still picked up 5 new entities and
a big boost towards WAS and was happy to reach 100 prefixes.  Plan to upgrade to
Extra before the next major contest, so that will help.

All S&P; with my boring prefix and a lot of frequencies in use, I didn't
bother  calling CQ.  40 was my best band with less competition in the wee
hours.  I went Assisted mainly to check for spots on 15 and 10, but did pick up
a few on 40 from spots.  Never heard anything on 10.  Always glad to get
anything on 75 as my loop should only be a few percent efficient there.

I wish I could have worked the last 3 hours of the contest because I was doing
well on 15.  Had a report from Virginia of "big signal" which sure
doesn't happen very often!  (He was +30, so there was a good pipeline at the
time.)  As always, thanks to all of the good ears who picked me out.