[3830] WPX SSB NB1N SO(A)AB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 27 20:45:15 EDT 2017

CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: NB1N
Operator(s): NB1N
Station: NB1N

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: MA
Operating Time (hrs): 30+

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Rig:  K3
Amp: KPA-500
LP-PAN 2 Panadapter
Ant:  All wires
20m and 40m ZS6BKW
15m Delta Loop
80m Dipole
160m K2KQ
RX: homebrew K9AY

Lot of S&P and limited amount of running.  Had a couple of good runs on 40m
and 20m but mostly S&P.  Max rate was 240 per hour, best 1 hour rate was 88.
 I entered assisted for the first time, but the spotting network did not proved
to be useful.  I have much to learn on how choose the right cluster and how to
set the right filters.  Most of the sports were either busted or I did not hear
the station that was spotted, and/or showed up too late to the game.  80m was
surprisingly good, the conditions on 40m was very challenging, so little usable
bandwidth and so many stations.  Found very few that was working split, not like
in a CW contest which could have provided a few more multipliers.  20m was the
go to band, Sunday stayed open all day.  I found very little activity on 15,
especially on Sunday.  I think I will do more phone in the future even though
it is a lot more work.  Thanks everyone for the Qs, but most of all my wife for
keeping me on life-support throughout the contest with fresh Java, apple pie and
good home cooking, that afforded me the extended BIC.

73, Sandor - NB1N