[3830] WPX SSB K5FUV SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Mar 28 21:58:28 EDT 2017

CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: K5FUV
Operator(s): K5FUV
Station: K5FUV

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: AR
Operating Time (hrs):

Unusual contest. I've never had a contest in 40 years where I was totally
blanked on 10 meters. Thunderstorms took out Friday night on 80 for the most
part, and I really didn't feel like slogging through 40 all night.

While I truly believe the an all band effort in WPX can be competitive using
only two bands, this weekend took it to extremes. 20 was the only band open to
EU on Saturday (at least from here) and 15 meters to EU was spotty at best.
Sounded like 10 during marginal years, first one area, then another, with SA
always there.

At least I was able to improve substantially on last year's score. Weekend
wasn't a total waste because I got to catch my son's gig with Randy Brecker and
Marvin Stamm on a livestream on Saturday afternoon.