[3830] FlQP K8MR SO MobileMixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 1 19:18:16 EDT 2017

Florida QSO Party

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: K8MR

Class: SO MobileMixed LP
QTH: WCF

   15:    42     2
   10:     0     0
--------------------
Total:  1109   104  CW Mults = 61  Ph Mults = 36  Total Score = 450,458

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I had originally not intended to post my score just yet, for as a no-driver
single op, while driving I recorded the audio and will transcribe those QSOs
later. The 450K score does not count those recorded QSOs, of which I estimate
300-400. This is only what was done while parked.

I was somewhat concerned with operating while driving, but on the empty
straight roads of rural Florida it was not too bad. The missing hour was the
time spent driving though St. Petersburg and Tampa on I-275, which was a good
thing not to be operating while doing that.

I stopped at three county lines on Saturday, CLR/HEN, GLA/HIG, and HIG/HAR.
Hopefully people figured that out and logged QSOs for both counties (N1MM will
do that readily). I ended Saturday night at my favorite waterfront parking area
in Sarasota. No bathing beauties doing photo shoots this time, however.

Sunday morning I started at the Sunshine Skyway Bridge rest area in MTE,
followed by operations from the North Fishing Pier State Park for HIL and PIN.
I hope being next to or above salt water gave me a few extra dB! Most of my SSB
operating was from these three locations.

I was a bit insulted when K4OJ drove by the MTE location without stopping to
say hello  :-)

I was driving a Prius V, not the usual van or SUV one generally sees with
mobile efforts. Basically the Prius engine ignition noise is significant, but
there is minimal noise from the electronics. The nice feature is that while
parked the engine ran only if the big battery was getting low, an infrequent
situation. But while parked the small battery (i.e. radio power source) was
apparently being charged by an inverter from the big battery, which was quiet.
So good radio voltage without idling engine RFI.

I had no comparison to make with previous years' propagation, but I was
disappointed by low European participation. I4VEQ was the only regular, along
with OK1CF who was on 40 Saturday evening. Both were as loud on 40 as any
stateside station. I even caught VEQ once on 15. But otherwise only two DL
QSOs, and one each with PA, ON, F, LZ and a second Italian.

Thanks to all who participate, especially the regulars who were always there
waiting. I'm looking forward to 2018!

73  -  Jim   K8MR