[3830] 7QP K7CA SOCW HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 7 10:23:28 EDT 2017

7th Call Area QSO Party

Call: K7CA
Operator(s): K7CA
Station: K7CA

Class: SOCW HP
QTH: UT

  160:     2
----------------------------
Total:  1349    0       0  Mults = 68  Total Score = 275,036

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Haven't any of the antennas other than 160m for about 10 years. The 20m 3el yagi
had fallen off the 70' tower and I had hoped to get it back up after some
repairs but ran out of time so I put up an inverted vee at 75'. I kept thinking
about Milt when I was climbing that tower alone in 25MPH winds so I always kept
two hands on the tower. That inverted vee may have been better than the beam
for USA contacts since I didn't have to turn it for west coast qsos or east
coast qsos. The 40m circle array worked great and didn't need much repair.  The
80m broadside/endfire vertical arrays were in very poor shape and I didn't have
time to fix them so I hardwired a kludge and it worked somewhat but couldn't
run more than 800 watts without arcing somewhere.  Propagation was great and
qrn was low. We must have been between storms.  Overall lots of fun especially
with only one day of operation even if it is 18 hours long. At least it is
possible to get some sleep at night, unlike the 160m contests. However, my
favorite is still the  Stew Perry contest.  73, Al K7CA