[3830] WPX CW AC3U(@WA3EKL) M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 28 21:52:55 EDT 2017

CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: AC3U
Operator(s): K0OO WA3EKL N3DPB W3UL KB3VQC
Station: WA3EKL

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: MD

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

>From the WA3EKL contest crew.  Since this was a holiday weekend we had
previously decided to not aggressively attack this contest which turned out to
be a wise decision.  We have four computers running the station.  A server
computer, two station computers and propagation, contest information computer.
Six hours before the contest station B’s computer hard drive died which
resulted in a rebuild/programming of a spare computer plus two trips to the
computer store to buy USB  to  RS232 adapter cables.  Since some of us are not
totally proficient in CW therefore we need a little help from the fldigi
program which did not want to run at first on the new station computer.  Two
hours after the contest started everything was functioning normally and we
began.  Some where about 3AM local time fldigi decided to not to decode any
more on station B.  After two hours of internet searching and parameters
adjustment the program worked flawlessly for the remainder of the contest.  We
were quite amazed at the signal level variances and noise level differences it
could handle and continue to decode.  Then early Sunday morning fldigi was
started on the station A computer and it had no signal getting into it.  That
was operator error because I WA3EKL had installed an audio mixer program about
a month ago to create audio wave files for our SSB contests.  After some time I
found out the mixer program had taken over the computer’s audio board system
files and redirected input �" output paths plus changed all the audio
levels.  When I redirected the pathways and reset the levels fldigi worked
flawlessly on station A for the remainder of the contest.   We had a super
minimal crew that did an outstanding job despite problems and exhaustion.  See
you all in the pile ups.