[3830] WPX CW KC7V(@K8IA) M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 28 22:08:14 EDT 2017

CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: KC7V
Operator(s): KC7V N7RQ K8IA W9CF
Station: K8IA

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: AZ

   40: 1089
   20: 1735

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

This year there were four of us but three of us put in about 32 hours each.  Our
schedule was 4 hours on, 2 hours off.  The contest started out in a very
encouraging way.  We were running on 15 and 20 so we got to 40 later that
usual.  20 stayed more or less open all of Friday night and Saturday morning so
us optimists were thinking good thoughts.

But, we heard a disturbance was coming.  Hearing about it and experiencing it
are very different.  We spent time on 80m early Sunday morning and were able to
work quite a number of JA's for those great 6 point contacts.  As the sun was
coming up the A & K index told the story.  We were not hearing any EU on
20m and no signals at all on 15m.   We CQ'd on 40m till nearly 2 hours after
sunrise just trying to make one point contacts.

We finally moved one radio to 15m while the other continued working one
pointers on 20.  After CQ'ing another 30 minutes a skimmer finally heard us at
4db.  Eventually we worked stateside on and off the rest of the day with the
rate meter somewhere around 15 qsos per hour.  What agonizing fun on Sunday.
At least we picked up some mults and even got in some qsos on 10m.  We went to
40m about 3:30pm (contest ends aT 5pm AZ time) to try and work one point
contacts as the rate on 15 was so bad.

Overall we were pleased with our efforts considering conditions.  Lots of
friends to say hello to during the contest.  We were even able to take K8IA's
80m vertical down  Sunday afternoon before the summer storm season arrives.

Many thanks to Sandy, N7RQ for the great food and for hanging in on 15m on
Sunday afternoon.   Thanks as well to both Bob K8IA and Sandy for their
continued hospitality and opening their station to host our M2 contest
operations.  The station plays extremely well for one tower.

Here is the station info:

70 ft tower with the 3 el M2 40m at 70 feet.
3 element SteppIR at 78 feet.
Fixed JA 5 element 15m monobander at 61 feet.
Fixed 90 degree east Bencher Skyhawk at 45 feet.
80m vertical.
160m shunt fed tower.
Receive antennas include two K9AY's and a DHDL towards JA.
Two K3's
Amps - AL-1500 and Alpha 8410

Thanks for all the QSOs.  Lots of repeats this year with the static and noise.

Mike KC7V