[3830] WPX CW KG4IGC M/S QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 29 10:13:42 EDT 2017

CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: KG4IGC
Operator(s): KG4IGC
Station: KG4IGC

Class: M/S QRP
QTH: Summerville, SC
Operating Time (hrs): 26:54

Club: Swamp Fox Contest Group

Comments:

This was a very active contest this year, and there was surprisingly good band
conditions on Friday night. Had nice openings to Northern EU, Russia, and the
the Middle East on 20 and 40 meters. For some strange reason I decided to do
S&P QRP this year, and I have to say that despite the nice band conditions,
it was not easy to work other stations. Worked a few stations out of the
Caribbean and South America on 80 meters but there was lots of QRN. I really
don't have a decent antenna for 80 meters so made the decision to stick with 20
and 40 meters. I did have considerable luck working DX stations with one or two
calls Friday evening, but Saturday and Sunday was a different story. It was
pretty much a struggle to work anyone. The stations that I did work I had to
call several times. I also had to repeat the report a few times for most
stations that I worked due to pileups, QSB and QRM.  There was noticeable QSB
and flutter later in the evening on 20 meters due to a solar storm, but 20
meters stayed open until early morning. I got up Saturday morning around 3:30
A.M. and 20 was still open to EU. Nothing heard out of Asia on any band
although I heard a few left coasters calling JA's. Saturday and Sunday the
bands were fair, had openings on both 15 and 10 meters. Worked mainly Stateside
on the weekend, specifically Northern stations with 2,3,7,8,& 9's in their
call. Also worked several Caribbean, Central, & South American stations.
Worked WN4AFP on 40 meters Sunday, and he had a huge signal. As always, it was
a pleasure to work Dave. EU started to show up late Sunday on 20 and 40 meters,
but was only able to work a couple of them. Next year I think that I will go
with 100 watts as opposed to running QRP. I found that this year was very
taxing on the brain to run low power, but still lots of fun. Many thanks to
everyone who had the patience to stick with me and work my peanut whistle of a
signal, looking forward to next years WPX!

Rig: Yaesu FT-DX 3000
PWR: 5 watts
ANT\'s: Horizontal Loop, 40/20 Vertical Super Loop, NA4RR Hex beam
SDR Play RSP2 for second receiver and pan adapter