[3830] WPX CW KZ5D SO(A)AB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 29 10:13:42 EDT 2017

CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: KZ5D
Operator(s): KZ5D
Station: KZ5D

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: LA

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Comments:

It's unfortunate that an unexpected family health issue caused me to cancel a
great opportunity to operate at K4QPL's fabulous villa on Turks. I had acquired
the special contest call of VQ5D that is semi-rare so perhaps that would have
attracted some interest. Having to cancel at the last minute, Jim did manage to
twist K4BAI's arm and they did manage to get the station well represented in the
contest as VP5M. Looks like they turned in a very good score in the M/S LP
category.

After the trip cancellation, I couldn't get much interest in going all-out in
the WPX. I did use spotting to follow my friends at VP5 and chase some of the
FOCers around. Hence, the assisted category although I did not attempt to chase
mults that way. I'm still old-school and like to find them on my own.

Seemed that conditions here were outstanding at the start on Friday night, but
I didn't get on until 0330z. Saturday night was static fest as a storm
approached and I had to ask for multiple repeats. The 10 meter opening on
Sunday starting at 18z was a huge surprise and I played there for the most part
until having to QRT around 20z.

Thanks to all for the Qs. Always fun!