[3830] WPX CW VE7FO M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue May 30 01:16:17 EDT 2017

CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: VE7FO
Operator(s): VE7FO VA7GI
Station: VE7FO

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Vancouver
Operating Time (hrs): 5:35

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Wow, near as I can tell it's been 4 years since I made a serious entry in any of
the major contests.  Here's the story of the latest debacle at VE7FO.

I had 3 objectives for this test.
  - Upgrade station to M/2 capability
  - Make a zillion points for Orcca DX & Contesting Club to wrest the PNW
Challenge Trophy from the Willammette Valley Club.
  - Give one of my ops (Guy, VA7GI) practice running.

The upgrade consisted of
- Clean up the shack to make room for the 2nd op position
- Network 3 computers to run N1MM+
- Set up 2 K3's, each with MK II micro keyer
- Install QRO BP filters and triplexer so both op positions could access the
TH3 tribander (assuming there were Qs to be made on 15).

Cleaning up the shack worked pretty well except that now there's no room to
move around in the basement.

Endless problems networking the computers.  Nothing to do with N1MM, just
couldn't get all the computers to see each other.  So, it's Fri evening, the
contest has been running for 6 hours and we've got one op position functioning
with N1MM set up for M/2.  Filters and triplexer are installed.  Too tired and
cranky to fiddle any more with the network so I got on to make some S&P Qs.
 Somewhat hampered by lack of spots from Master.

First Q at 0643Z on 20 was HG7T.  That's pretty promising.  Well, maybe not.
The only EU I heard during the entire contest.

Activity level seemed pretty low - lots of holes in the band if I wanted to run
but too tired.

Made a few Qs and went to bed.

Sat am

I decided to make some more Qs while waiting for an emergency visit by our
network guru, VA7NF.  Oh, oh.  20m BP filter sudenly showing very high SWR and
making arcing sounds when power is greater than abou 4-500W.  Connected filter
to 1 kW dummy load - same problem.  Bypassed filter - problem went away.

Too upset to do much more than mope while waiting for VA7NF to arrive at 3 pm.

Once here, he found that one of the computers had both an etherrnet connection
to the cable modem and also a wireless one.  Removal of the ethernet connection
made the computers much happier and all of a sudden they could see each other.
Went out for dinner to celebrate.

Back at 9pm.  Connected the amp directly to the tribander and made some Qs for
a couple of hours.  Grand total of 29.

Sun am

Guy (VA7GI) starts operating S&P around 10 am and switches to running
around 2 pm.  Given that we were fresh meat, he suddenly found he had a pileup
on his hands.  Didn't take too long, after a certain amount of scrambling, for
him to bring some order to the chaos.

He left at 2:30 pm with 80 Qs in the log.  I added another 20 and called it
quits.

Was it fun?  No

Will I be back?  Yes

73 and thanks for your patience everybody

Jim  VE7FO