[3830] SS CW VY1AAA(VE1RM) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 5 21:04:12 EST 2017

ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: VY1AAA
Operator(s): VE1RM
Station: VY1JA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NT

Club: Yukon CanAm Contest Club

Comments:

Well, PR and VI were the expected misses, and they were.   God Bless all the
people down there... no time for contesting (or not much!).

Missed my goal of at least 1,000 QSOs.  Propagation is challenging for SS and
populated areas.  When the high-bands are open, things are great.  Smoking
pileups on Saturday, but once 20 meters died, 40 was not open yet (Still
daylight in Whitehorse).  So, big dead period until 40 gives us some traffic.

Then, about the time the band opened, gremlins started in -- the K3 would not
operate, saying the "KPA 500 is not powered on" -- but there is no
KPA500!!  Finally, it just fixed itself (!)   Then, the 20m quad became
intermittent.
By turning the rotor, that seemed to fix things.  40m went very long early,
and went to bed before 80 got going.

All in all, less time than last year, and it shows in the score.

Always a pleasure to work so many friends from NT!

VY1AAA would not be possible without our good friend, J, VY1JA, doing
maintenance.
He is one fantastic tech, and still supporting us SS operators!!

Station is Elecraft K3s, Alpha 9500, 20/15/10 4L Quad at 70ft, 1/4-wave ground
planes on 80 and 40, 160m Double-L with 70 ft Vertical.

See ya in CQWW CW and ARRL 160!

Operated remotely from New Hampshire in this one.

73,

Gerry VE1RM (AKA W1VE)