[3830] SS CW N5FO SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 6 12:26:13 EST 2017

ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N5FO
Operator(s): N5FO
Station: N5FO

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: NM

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Always like the SS contests!  Lots of fun and a relatively easy 24 hours BIC
time.  This year was no exception, and a pleasant surprise to get my first SO
Clean Sweep!

As always, things started out a bit rocky here, with trouble setting up the
Cluster, and W0MU being down from the start. In the end it didn't matter, even
though I went Unl, my home service was down most of Saturday, and all day
Sunday. About 15 minutes before start, my wireless mouse failed, no problem
though, had a spare - easy install too! I did have some computer latency issues
throughout the contest, most likely due to the connection problems.

This is the first contest since last year, without any practice on CW or SO2R,
must remember next year to get a jump on things by doing a little CWT
beforehand. Thanks to all those who were patient, especially during the first
couple of hours.

15M never seemed to "turn on" here, so spent most effort on 20 during
the days. Last night 40 was quite a surprise, with many newcomers welcomed late
in the contest. It's a good thing because 20 slammed shut right at dark. 80
seemed disappointing, but looking at the final statistics, 120 Q's is more than
I would have guessed. The vertical 4-square that Rich (KL7RA SK) turned me on to
has been a great decision.  And, I found the NE & NW beverages a huge help
especially on 40 last night as the static crashes started to become more
prominent after 0200.

I had a "special visitor" last night that tried to help me ride my
left radio volume, I'll submit a photo for the contest write-up, so more on
that later.

Many thanks to all for the Q's, and a special hat's off to the folks down in PR
& VI for being in this one, making my Clean Sweep possible.