[3830] SS CW N9NB(@N3BB) Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 7 00:20:57 EST 2017

ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N9NB
Operator(s): N9NB
Station: N3BB

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs): 23:55

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

It was great fun to operate from N3BB in Austin!

My dear friend Jim was a terrific host, re-teaching me the TR logging software,
and allowing me to try SO2R for the first time ever.

It was the same N3BB who encouraged me to "get back into ham radio and
contesting" about 12 years ago, and he has now put me on the journey of
using SO2R regularly - I have learned from one of the best, and with the help
of another world class contester, Nate N4YDU, I am now ready to try SO2R from
my VA QTH.

I have never used a bandscope before, but think I had better start, as not
using one likely caused me to miss KP4 and NNY in the last hour of the contest.
I thought they would be on, and manually scanned the bands, but never heard them
-- a bandscope might have let me "see" the pileups.

N3BB's station played superbly, and I was amazed at how easily it was to break
the VO1HP and VE9 pile-ups on low power. Thanks to Jim and Diana for their
gracious hospitality, and thanks for the Q's.

73 ted n9nb