[3830] SS SSB VE3HG Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 20 07:41:09 EST 2017

ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: VE3HG
Operator(s): VE3HG
Station: VE3HG

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: gta
Operating Time (hrs):

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Superb conditions for QRP. Little fading and often very quiet conditions made
for few repeats and dozens of unsolicited reports on the strength of the QRP
signal out of the new Elecraft KX-2. Guess a lot of guys don't realize that I'm
only 2 S-units below the 100 watt signals. Many reports of S-9 from Fl and Ca.
Highlights included working Hawaii on 40 with S-9 signals both ways. Also broke
the pileups for NL twice and yes I yelled QRP during a break in the mayhem to
get the ops attention. Would I love more filtering in the KX-2? Well yes but
there wasn't a situation where I couldn't work someone due to a nearby
interfering signal. Also in comparison the KX-2 hears as well as any rig I've
owned and filters work about the same as my Flex 1500 which is to say it works
pretty good for a rig you can stuff into a jacket pocket. Strangely didn't work
any GTA guys!