[3830] SS SSB K1LT SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 20 12:04:05 EST 2017

ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Ohio EM89ps

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I operated the ARRL November Sweepstakes SSB test for short bursts
while waiting for various software development processes to complete.
All of my contacts except 1 were obtained via the "search and
pounce"
method.  I used spotting assistance, but one man's rare section is
another's yet-another-boring-OH.  A few select CQs went unanswered
except once.

In 3 hours I worked around 142 QSOs and 62 sections.  There is no
particular pattern to the sections I missed, except that
unsurprisingly the Caribbean still seems to be rare.  NNYs and VE6s
were out in abundance compared to the CW weekend.

I'm working on the software infrastructure to support a new design for
a "cheap" SDR receiver to be used many times to construct a phased
array.  The actual receiver seems to work well, but the receiver is
designed to be attached to a dedicated piece of equipment rather than
a PC with a sound card.

The dedicated equipment is a single-board computer that has an FPGA
capability.  An FPGA allows one to build arbitrary digital hardware
using software.  The end result is the performance of dedicated
hardware achieved with all the tedium of writing software (and more!).

The complete project results in a beam steering software defined
phased array receiving device that supports an arbitrary number of
array elements and avoids obsolete PCI-based pro-audio sound cards and
their expensive, up-to-date replacements.  I am hoping to have
something to try out in time for one of the 160 meter contests with
season.

Free beer for someone who devises an appropriate word or phrase that
aptly says "software defined beam steering phased array receiving
device".