[3830] SS SSB VE3RX Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 20 14:39:22 EST 2017

ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: VE3RX
Operator(s): VE3RX
Station: VE3RX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Good runs at times, averaging 77Q's per hour (for me, that's good...). Even
though I was running higher power this year (300-400W), I was still getting
crowded out by "bigger guns" to the south. Especially one high power
W that was at least 10kHz wide, just above my CQ spot on 80M. Another ham in my
town confirmed that signal was so wide, he had to tune 10kHz away to get away
from his "broadband" signal. Fortunately, that was the only signal I
could complain about, everyone else seemed to at least check their amps or
signals...

Back to SS, missed PR, kind of obvious, and ND, which is no surprise either.
What I also missed was WCF, go figure that one out... Anyway, still had fun
this year though bands seemed to be poor, 40M was almost a lost cause,
partially because my antenna has high SWR above 7.1Mhz (my fault...). 15M was
ok on the start on Saturday, not as good on Sunday. 20M was ok throughout,
second best band for me. 80M was the workhorse, over 1/2 my contacts, and the
most sections, were on 80M.

Till next year.
Steve

K3/AL-811 amp @ 300W