[3830] SS SSB W1WEF Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 20 14:57:30 EST 2017

ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W1WEF
Operator(s): W1WEF
Station: W1WEF

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: ct

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Been a while since I put in a serious effort on SSB SS. I had fun but couldn't
put in as much time as I had hoped. Couldn't keep my eyes open after sleeping
poorly the night before.    Always enjoy seeing  the new mults fill in, and
then wondering if  I'll ever get that last one or two that I need.   I probably
spent too much time with one of the two TH6's pointing to NT or South to PR or
VI. I was really delighted to have VY1MB call in with a number 1 for my NT, but
a little later VE8EV called with a number 1 as well!  After that I kept one
antenna to the South, and at one point when I moved to the bottom of 20 to look
for a clear spot, there was Gerry at VY1AAA.   I NEVER worked 3 NT stations in
one SS before, but received  No 1 from VE8EV before.

My PR station was WP4CTD who wasn't in the contest on  75. I think he was
telling me to QSY because I was too close ,  but I coaxed the info out of him
before I moved. I think I might have taken traffic from him after the storm.
Later on 40 NP4A called in with a big signal, so I had 2 PR stations in the
log, but still needed VI. I had heard a weak VI station working someone else
earlier, but calling "CQ  KP2"  a bit up the band didn't work.  KP2XX
made my day for the sweep on 40 calling in with a big signal.

I checked 160 to find no SS activity, but broke into  a roundtable to ask if
anyone was in RI, and sure enough I nabbed RI and another 4 Qs. Of course I
later worked 3 or 4 more RI stations. Conditions were up and down, better than
expected. I thought 40 and 80 were excellent, and found the expanded phone
bands we now have a good improvement for SS. There is enough room on 75 now so
you don't hear all the complaining  about contesters from the regulars... well,
not as many. One mistake I made was going to bed before midnite Saturday, when I
wasn't even tired but the bands seemed too slow. I suspect they improved because
everyone I was ahead of earlier was now ahead of me Sunday morning!

Thanks for the Qs and all the thrills.   JACK W1WEF

160     5/1

  75   294/16

  40   409/9

  20   437/57

        1145   83     190,070.    19 hours     JACK W1WEF

PS    I remember when I had about 40 "NT" sections in my log.
Instead of wasting time with 3 letters for North Tx, I abbreviated it.
Reviewing my log after the contest this time I caught one Q in which I did the
same thing. Way back when, in CT I knew how to add alternate abbreviations for
sections, so if I typed "NT" or "NTX" it logged as NTX.  I
think VE8 was logged as NWT at that time.  Is there a way I can change
abbreviations in MM? I especially would be happy with MD  instead of MDC!

Jack Schuster via groups.io