[3830] SS SSB K9ZO Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Nov 23 09:34:33 EST 2017

ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K9ZO
Operator(s): K9ZO
Station: K9ZO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: il

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Single radio. Still waiting for the Flex.  As expected, the SteppIR 18e did not
work on 40, so had to use an inverted vee at 35 ft.  I can only imagine the
results if I had had these two score boosters. The 80 meter vertical performed
well.  I had 268 QSOs on one frequency in 4 hours 17 minutes on Saturday
evening.  This really helped the QSO total and the coverage was excellent
resulting in a lot of multipliers with both short and long skip.  I used a 500
foot E-W beverage much of the time. No problems with side QRM because I was
using a Flex 6500.  On Sunday morning I needed only RI and AK.  On 15 and 20 I
could get through to stations, but was not quite loud enough to attract
attention when calling CQ.  I will have to add some low antennas next year.
The difficult multipliers came early, lowering the sweep stress. At 1830Z I had
889 QSOs, so the last hours were exhausting.  Lots of time at the gym made
sitting in the chair easy.  The new QTH seems pretty good.