[3830] CQWW CW W8FN SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 26 20:38:39 EST 2017

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W8FN
Operator(s): W8FN
Station: W8FN

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NTX

   80:   20    10       16
   40:   85    16       40
   20:  119    18       52
   15:   79    16       36

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

This one was hard work again. Bad conditions and my inferior antennas made it
tough going on all bands.

The lack of discipline heard on the DX pileups seems to be growing amongst the
contest community as well. I can't say how many times I heard a DX station with
a pileup come back to most of or even a complete call, only to have a dozen
stations dump their calls over and over again while he tried to complete the
QSO. I was disappointed to hear a lot of familiar contest stations doing this.
Add to that the often-heard situation of guys running at 36-38 wpm but taking
up to 2 seconds to come back to someone, even with a partial call, and you have
the perfect prescription for chaos.

Running non-assisted S&P these days seems to be a losing proposition. A
good many of the big operations went for long periods with no ID and then sent
their call just once, only to have it completely covered by the aforementioned
uncontrolled calling. There must be a whole bunch of busted calls in the logs
of people who just jump on spots without verifying who they're actually
working.

And get off my lawn! Sorry to be complaining -- guess I'm just tired and a bit
frustrated with the way things work at sunspot minimum for us tribander and
wire guys. Thanks to everybody who was able to copy my poor signal, especially
on 80 meters. Hope to see you next time.

73...
Randy, W8FN