[3830] CQWW CW VE3NNT SOAB(A) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 26 22:40:24 EST 2017

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE3NNT
Operator(s): VE3NNT
Station: VE3NNT

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: fn14cm
Operating Time (hrs): 32
Remote Operation

   80:  161    13       45
   40:  448    26       90
   20:  556    27       96
   15:  414    21       84
   10:    5     5        4

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

This was my first contest with the new tower and antenna at our cottage. The
tower is 90 feet self supporting with an Optibeam OB17-4 on top. This antenna
has exceeded my expectations. More often than not, I get a response to my first
call, even in reasonable sized pileups. It sure beats the dipoles up 20 feet in
the air that I used in the contest last year.

We've closed the cottage for the season, so this was a real test of how well
remote operation works. Other than a couple of dropouts due to occasional bad
internet delays, it worked very well. The only thing I noticed was a short
delay after my transmissions before I could listen again, but long enough that
I missed the first letter of the call of the responding station, which probably
annoyed them when I had to ask for a repeat.

We had company Friday night for dinner, so I started 2 hours late. I also had
to sleep Saturday night after staying up all night Friday. I also lost a couple
of hours of prime time Sunday afternoon. All in all though, it was great fun and
I thank you all for the QSOs, especially the many CWOPS that responded to my
CQs.

This has been a real learning experience. Next year I'll try to better optimize
my time on runs vs S&P, and pay more attention to multipliers. Also, I need
to think about installing an antenna for 160m. Without one, my score isn't as
high as it could be due to lost multipliers.

I can hardly wait until next year.