[3830] CQWW CW NA6O(@N6RO) M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 26 22:48:26 EST 2017

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: NA6O
Operator(s): N6RO K3EST WA6O N6WM N6BV NA6O WX5S AI6JZ
Station: N6RO

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Oakley, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 48
Remote Operation

  160:  118    13       28
   80:  363    25       62
   40: 1267    32      100
   20: 1150    36      139
   15:  777    32       90
   10:   64    14       17

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

What better way to celebrate Ken's birthday than to have the Radio Oakley team
get together for one of the biggest 48 hour events in all of radiosport?
Although not really possible to win M/M from W6, this is a favorite for us all
at Radio Oakley. All the seats were filled and we had a great time. The final
score was 38% of that from 2014, so yes, conditions have deteriorated.

N6RO himself took charge of his favorite band, 160, with help from WX5S. The
station continues to be plagued by severe power line nose, though the repair
ticket is working its way thru the system. Ken insists he has a name and a
phone number... so progress!! The DXing was good though not spectacular as a
result; we were certainly being heard better than we were hearing.

After investing much personal effort upgrading the 80m antennas and switching
equipment, I managed to beat my performance from last year, mainly by working
the good openings to EU both evenings. Morning long path was impossible
however, due to line noise. It also seemed like there was a shortage of JAs on
Sunday morning. We were definitely spotted on the LP, but no chance of pulling
signals out.

40m was the top QSO producer this year with WA6O. Mike produced nearly 300 QSOs
above last year's 40 meter numbers, clearly comfortable back at his home station
after being at VP2 last year.

K3EST remains our eternal master of 20m, Demonstrating his great example of
solid butt in chair, producing results that easily beat last year's score. Bob
mentioned that the line noise was bothersome and as on all bands, and sincerely
apologizes for any alligator behavior.

15m was handled by N6WM (1 session remote but mostly on site) and N6BV
(remote), with the Remote Rig/K3 system working well after a couple of
last-minute debugging sessions. N6WM stayed at the Station Friday night after
resolving the Remote Rig problems and kicked off the contest with a 142 QSO
first hour on 15m before the band collapsed.  He was also able to pick off EU
mults with European openings brief but ok, really no chance to run central EU
but lured in Western EU stations with a CQ or two. Signals were weak, some
barely deflecting the S-meter but still workable. There is still some life on
this band for now, and the vigilant full-time effort paid off.

Finally, on 10m, contester-in-training AI6JZ put his new CWops CW Academy
training to work on Saturday and part of Sunday. WX5S sat alongside, passing
along advice and helping out if the wheels were starting to come off. Thanks to
the ops who QRSed or took an extra moment to finish the exchange. Welcome aboard
Team Oakley, Bill. You're learning from the best. N6WM also jumped in and filled
a gap on 10, adding a zone and a couple of countries. N6RO had a go on Sunday as
well.

We all have much to be thankful for, especially the generosity of N6RO in
providing such a great station, and of course his contest chili. I am also
personally grateful for my call to have been selected for this event from this
amazing station. The team spirit, education, and FUN at Radio Oakley is a real
gift. Happy birthday, OM!

For the entire N6RO/Radio Oakley contest team, thanks for the Qs and see you in
the next contest.

-Gary NA6O