[3830] CQWW CW NN7CW SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 26 23:37:54 EST 2017

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: NN7CW
Operator(s): NN7CW
Station: NN7CW

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NFL
Operating Time (hrs): 37:50

  160:    0     0        0
   80:  117    18       53
   40:  842    27       89
   20:  619    26       79
   15:  232    22       67
   10:   34     8       10

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

After starting from scratch after Irma (antenna-wise), this was my first run
with my new budget antenna setup, using a last-minute homebrew inverted v
diople for 80 m and verticals for 40 (+15), 20 and 10 m.

My new SO2R setup made it much more interesting than it was before with only
one modest antenna. I was told (and have noticed myself) that the rates here in
FL are not as dynamic as in other parts of the world, so the new setup +
choosing Unassisted seemed to be the means of choice for potential boredom.

I planned for at least 40 h, but overslept my alarm (it's probably time to get
my ears checked). The upside is that I am well-rested and I think the higher
bands were not playing along anyway. I am curious to hear what the big guns
have to say, because I was not impressed with 20 and I am wondering if it was
the propagation, or the lack of directional antennas.

I enjoyed using the 40 m vertical I bought from a nice guy at the Melbourne ham
fest and grinned for a moment when ZL2AZ found me on 10 when I was calling CQ.
Additionally, I am glad I spent an afternoon putting the dipole in one of our
pine trees, I had not expected having so much fun on 80!