[3830] CQWW CW K3WJV SOAB(A) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 27 01:40:08 EST 2017

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K3WJV
Operator(s): K3WJV
Station: K3WJV

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: PA

  160:   30     8       15
   80:  220    19       75
   40:  306    30      109
   20:  673    30      115
   15:  152    23       77
   10:   11     8        7

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Rural wooded location 1255ft ASL

Only had 100 more Q's than last year but a LOT more mults.  500K better score.
No real change in antennas but the hexbeam is now at a staggering 30ft instead
of 24ft. That was done the week before the phone weekend. I think it worked
better as I was in a lot of pileups I probably shouldn't have conquered but I
am pretty happy with my tiny station.  Can't wait to improve antennas.

Without a 2nd beam, so2r really isn't effective.  I tried to load the 80 mtr
vee thru the tuner for 20 so I could have the hex for 15 but it really wasn't
effective. I might have worked 3 guys on 20 while hunting on 15 but it took
about that long to realize it just wasn't going to work. I used the ft1K on 40
and the K3 for the rest giving me quick band switching. I did lots of hopping
with only one good run on 20 each day about 200 Q's per.

I normally have a lot more interruptions during a contest weekend but the xyl
is receiving some much needed rehab & strengthening allowing me to have
more chair time for this one contest. I hope to have her back in a couple of
weeks as does our chihuahua who is beside himself wondering why she isn't in
the car when I get back home after an errand. The toy poodle is my shack dog
and seems ok to wait for the xyl to get home. So I only had to tend to the
hounds and bird feeders and put in a lot of headphone time. I got 7 hours sleep
total but overslept an hour Sunday morning laying there for a "few more
minutes" after the alarm went off.

Had lots of fun during both modes with the new FRC chat platform and watching
the live online scoreboard.  Yes, serious contesting requires lots of attention
but its possible to mingle with your buds and get inspired at the same time. For
comparison I put last years results mainly so I can see them at a glance for
some post contest viewing.

           2016 CQWW CW STATS

 Band     QSOs     Pts  ZN   Cty  Pt/Q
   1.8      30      62    8   11   2.1
   3.5     133     353   15   61   2.7
     7     216     582   25   85   2.7
    14     790    2269   31  100   2.9
    21     114     305   19   60   2.7
    28       8      19    5    8   2.4
 Total    1291    3590  103  325   2.8
Score: 1,536,520

FT1000MP & Alpha 89
K3/P3 & Acom 2000A

2el K4KIO 5 band Hexbeam @30ft  G-450A rotor & Green Heron
Inv vees for 40m-80m-trapped 160 @ 55ft

Palstar HF-AUTO    WinKeyer USB & Vibroplex paddle
Rx ants - 200ft NE/SW kd9sv rbogs staggered & spaced @ 66ft - DXE ncc-2
SO2R >> TopTen DxDoubler-Band Aides-relays-W2VJN stubs
not full blown so2r yet - need 2nd beam

N1MM+ contest logger & DxLab master logger